Re: guitars

 >Anyway, there's been a lot of talk about guitars lately on
>different tours.  Is there a comprehensive list somewhere of which
>guitars, both Pete's and John's, were used on which tours and which
>albums throughout their career?  I can barely tell a strat from a Les Paul
>so I need all the help I can get.  Actually if somebody could tell me
>what Pete was playing at Woodstock I'd be happy.  Thanks.

     Pete played Rickenbacker guitars in the early days.  These hollow and
     semi-hollow bodied guitars are noted for their clear, ringing sound
     (most obvious on I Can't Explain and I Can See For Miles).  Also used
     by Tom Petty in the Damn the Torpedos days.

     He moved to a Gibson SG during the late 60'.  Just listening to LAL
     lets you know that he used these for their ferocious dynamic range.  I
     think I remember reading somewhere that he also used them because they
     were easier to repair than Ricks... :)

     Pete played an SG at Woodstock (and threw it into the audience...
     anybody know what happened to that guitar?)

     He then began playing (several) Gibson Les Paul guitars in the mid
     70's (these are the ones with the numbers on them, seen in TKAA Baba
     ORiley and WGFA).  They are known for their incredible top-end and
     huge distortive sound.  Guitar of choice for tons of 70's rock icons,
     including Jimmy Page, Peter Frampton, Joe Perry (Aerosmith).

     These three types of guitars also share a common feeling to the neck,
     though the Ricks have a little wider fretboard, with a bit less depth.

     Pete started using Fender Stratocasters and Telecasters in the tours
     with Kenney Jones.  Fenders are generally connected to a cleaner, more
     bluesy sound, exemplified by Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler (Dire
     Straits) and Dave Gilmour (Pink Floyd).  He then went to a Martin (I
     think) acoustic around the Deep End period, when they became the Big
     Band Who.

     One thing to note about the way guitars sound:  Anymore, with the
     advent of electronics and such, most guitars can be made to sound like
     any other.  You used to be able to listen to a record and say "ooooh,
     I just love that Les Paul!!!"  but now you can't tell for sure what
     originated the sound.

     John's bass collection is legendary (see the clip of his house in
     Success Story on TKAA), and I don't know that he ever stuck with one
     for very long at all, with the possible exception of the
     Explorer-style Alembic that he played for many years (also seen on
     WGFA in TKAA).

     I would also love a comprehensive list of the guitars used on tour, if
     anyone knows of one that exists.

     HTH!

     OK,
     KLW