Instructions...

       New York Rangers - 1993-94 Stanley Cup Champions
>effecient way of distributing information on the more typically asked questions
>than having every new member ask them and then these be sent to every member
>allready on the list.

As the straw that broke the camels back, I can say that that discussion
is being tossed about as you read...From the feedback that I saw with
my WWW request...

The Van Halen list gives about 45-50 mailings per day, per subscriber,
this list, I get maybe 5 the most,I dont know how dreadful it is to
get one simple question asking someone to forward them either a
FTP site.. or possible instructions on it...Not to send it through
the net...

If everyone is going to advertise a homeppage or WWW, Then you should
really expect some dweebs like me to ask how to do it or access it.

>I'm not sure what our number is now,  but for example when it reaches 1000 and
>somebody asks how to use the web,  that question goes out to 1000 people and
>ties up the net needlesslly.  Then if somebody responds and sends it to the
>whole  mailing list that's another 1000 messages sent,for a total of 2000 that
>really did not need to be sent if the information was given to the new
>subscriber at the time of subscription.

 Theres also a "delete" command that you could use if you had nothing to
 contribute towards the subject...

>I'm referring to these types of questions:

>- how to use the www
>- how to use ftp
>- the http site of the WHO hypertext
>- the http site of the WHO bootleg hypertext
>- the address and instrucions for the RELAY, GENERATIONS etc..
>- very frequently and commonly asked WHO questions:
>     - What are the songs on Lifehouse to Leeds ?
>     - Pete's address
>     - Is Secret Policmen's ball out on CD yet? (I, myself asked the list this)
>     - ...and many more along this line....

Great, now how about the people that has subscribed for over a year
and still have no clue as to how to use WWW ?

>Obviously, we won't get rid of all these types of questions, but it would

 Just remember to practice what you preach when we do go to that...

>Again...I'm not putting down anyone who's asked questions, because I was
                                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>completely ignorant of the system when I first subscribed and asked many
What was ok for you isnt ok for anyone else...

 Uhhh...I am not "ignorant" of the system, I thought that I asked that
the INFO be sent to me as to where the info could be found, and if anyone
HAD a file that had instructions, please pass that along and there would
be one less question to answer, and if the info was not available, them
I would check for a newgroup that may be able to answer..

It appears to the Naked Eye that this is a friendly neighborhood
mailing list..

Just remember to practice what you preach when we go that route..