RE: Pete's VoiceSun Dec 7 12:53:45 PST 1997

>>-Call me crazy (and I know you will!) but I've secretly preferred
>>Pete's voice to Rog's for a while now.  Well, maybe what I really
>>love is the combination.   What I like about many songs is the
>>juxtaposition of Roger's gruffness, toughness with the emotional honesty
of
>>Pete's lyrics.  That combination (especially in songs where Pete comes in
>>for the middle eight or a particular verse)is part of what makes them
>>The Who, for me.  The music of The Who and of Pete's is so
>>versatile...there's something there for you for your every mood.
>
>Wow, A Who-ster after my own heart...I feel as if I read something I
>wrote myself!  Crazy? No.  I've always liked Pete's voice more than
Roger's.
>Not to say I _don't_ like Roger's vocal cords but for some reason since
>the very beginning of time (which would be in the year 1982, when I
>first started to listen to The 'Oo) Pete's voice and the way he sang the
>song evoked an emotion I have never felt before with any other music.
>Achey heart, dreaminess, sorrow, anger etc.  Roger has a different way
>of presenting the songs - which, I might add I thoroughly enjoy as well.

It wasn't until Psychoderelict that I started liking Pete's voice better
than Roger's (of course I've only been a Who fan since about '91 or '92).
 In fact if John would play bass on a solo album of Pete's I'd prefer that
to a new Who album (no flames please).  But I still love Roger's voice for
all of the Who albums (especially Quad), and I'm glad it's him who sings
them.  I guess I like how Pete's voice has matured from age and smoking.  I
also like the deepness of Simon Townshend's voice.

>>  There's something about driving and The Who.

>Oh, absolutely.  I've got many tapes in my car of the Who and Pete solo.

I agree, Empty Glass is my favorite to drive to.  As soon as "Gonna Get You"
comes on I subconsciously speed up.

Sue