Re: The Who Digest Vol 2 Num 323

At 3:45 12/8/95, The Who Mailing List wrote:
>Meanwhile, about the WBN reissue -- am I the only one who has
>trouble believing that there's *nothing* to put on it?  Check
>out the quote after the signature -- it's a clue.
>
> --dan'l
>
>"Take two hundred and seventy six -- you know, this used to be fun!"

Yes, but (from an interview with John at
http://www.eden.com/~thewho/interview-john-94.html):

There's a line in "Success Story": "Take two hundred and seventy-six." How
many takes did it typically take? Did you ever get a song the first take
through? How grueling was it?

A lot of them were usually the second. You'll remember that most of the
time we were learning the song, and by the time we got to the first take we
were still ironing out little teasy problems and we still hadn't arrived at
the part we were intending to play. "The Real Me" was first take.
---------
So...while I'm sure there's lots-o'-material in existence, it's probably
not the massive volume the quote implies.

Alan

"When I'm onstage...it's not like bein' possessed, it's just --
*I* *do* *my* *job*."  -- Pete Townshend