Re: Re; bass players (Noel Redding)

On Wed, 6 Dec 1995, Scott Swanson wrote:
> I could see the Who doing a similar thing, but I think a better idea
> would be to allow each member of the band a solo spotlight (like Van
> Halen's current system).

I don't think that would have been horribly interesting.  There are many
people who can play an instrument really really well, but the number of
groups that can have all of the individual members play superbly
*together* is extremely small.  Why waste concert time on solos when you
have the amazing sound of the band playing together.  Besides, solos tend
to be drawn out and punchless.  Give me I Can't Explain over a bass solo
any day.  (and I'm a bassist).

--Lev.