Re[2]: favorite drummers

WFang wrote:

>You all may want to add to your list of "favorite drummers"....

>Pete Townshend

>On many of his demos, his drumming is very creative and overall outstanding.
>It would be interesting to see him drum, "live"...

>As for "worst drummers", I'll nominate:

>"Mighty" Max Weinberg
>Charlie Watts

Sorry, Fang, but I cannot agree with your nomination of Pete.  Indeed,  he may
be a favorite, but he is not an outstanding drummer. I can outplay Pete and I am
certainly not outstanding (I used to play regularly years ago, but jobs and kids
can crimp that gig).  What he attempts to do on his demos is OK, but it's pretty
basic--it doesn't really get in the way or drag a song down (like the other two
you mentioned often do). Pete's drumming was basic because he knew that it was
simply to serve as a timekeeping mechanism for his demos; he knew they would be
interpreted by Moonie (or by others, say, on his solo albums).

Honestly, I think Watts's style fits perfectly for the Stones music (even though
I'm not a big Stones fan, particularly of recent stuff). I've heard that Watts's
attempts to do jazz are pretty bad--his playing is too rigid to let the music
flow. That I can imagine.

jim