Re[2]: Moon and the Ox

>(Note: Pete mentioned how Noel Redding, the bass player, was a complete
>Entwistle fanatic. His sound, though, was usually lots of distortion. It
>didn't really get in Jimi's way at least.)

Well, he may have been a JE fan, but his sound was at the opposite end of
things: very much a booming, fat mid-60's Fender sound, where there is hardly
any noticeable definition between notes.  John's treble knob setting was
matched only by Chris Squire.

I think Redding played "underneath" Hendrix (not difficult to do, what with
Jimi's tendencies for soaring), while JE played all *around* PT.  So many
times I listen to Leeds and think that Pete is the rhythm section and
everybody else is taking solos.

Studio work is much more subdued (if one could ever apply that term to
Entwistle) in that JE (or the producer) seems to approach his sound as more
of a "role" in the construction of the song. "Behind Blue Eyes" comes to mind
immediately.  Plenty of support for the lower registers, but there are some
unbeLIEVable riffs in there, too.

OK,
KLW