John Entwistle Band Tour Book and Party

Dear fellow listers,

I realise that some of you have not sent in your dough for the Tour book. May
I share some thoughts with you.

The Who's music and the individual band members are undergoing a periodic
revival of sorts. For some of us, like me, their music has been a central
theme in our lives. And many of these people are not on the Wholist. The CD
remasters have also engendered a renwed interest in their music whilst some
of the new bands like Blur and Oasis have done the same by their admission of
The Who as one of their influences.

The news of these events is about to be released to the New York community.
It has been confined to this list so far.  And this may mean that those of
you Who procrastinate will be out of luck. A single ad in the Village Voice
or the Sunday New York Times will probably result in a sold-out event. And
there are a number of publications about to unleash this news to the music
community.  This is not a lot of money to pay, to sponsor the launch of the
new CD and to be part of rock history. More importantly, the sponsorship
gives you a place in the queue for the gig.

I have plenty of experience in these matters. My wallet shows the effects. I
saw the people sleeping on the street for the Radio City tickets in 1989; and
the queue streched around the block!

I paid $500 each for my Daltrey sings Townshend tickets. They were worth
every penny.  Yes, I flew in from California. And there were no tickets for
sale by touts (scalpers) at the show. The people next to me in the balcony
box had flown in from bloody Chicago for the show. Then I wore my DST Tee
shirt to the DST show in Concord, California. I flew back early from two
weeks in Israel in order to go to that rescheduled show. I got off the plane,
went home to shower and then went right to the show. I sat right in front of
John, transfixed, in the second row. I saw Roger looking at me staring at
John's famous Thunderfingers (tm). Maybe he was jealous. What does he have to
stare at, his Adam's apple? Then on leaving someone tugged at my shirt and
said that she has been at the Carnegie Hall show too. Yes, people fly across
the country for these blokes...

This year I bought 8 tickets to The Who Convention. I used one, gave two to
Barry and Dip, lost one in a wager  and sold the others to listers at face
value. I'm no ticketwallah nor do I want to be. This show was sold out for
over a month before with NO WHO members even rumoured to be there. There was
not "more at the door." There were no tickets at all for the event at any
price! You chaps who were there remember this fact.

If you think that this event will not become sold out when word gets around
you've got another think coming. I plan to be there with three others and
that means that I'm already claiming 2% of the tickets. And that's just
humble me. The New York Who community is the most rabid of the lot. A few
hundred bucks is nothing for some of these people. Can you imagine a party
with the band with only 200 other fans. Talk about exclusivity. You don't
think New Yorkers will jump at the opportunity?

I know some of you kicked yourselves for not going to The Convention. Please
don't make the same mistake this time. Send in your dough. Support John's new
tour.

And keep the money in your pocket that you would have given the touts. You
can pay the most-favoured-customer price or the market price. It's your
choice.

I am not an organisor of this event. I'm just a fan, like most of you. And a
John disciple since 1965. Thirty years of maximum Entwistle!

Best regards, George