'79 shows

>The live stuff I'v heard booted from 1979 is
>exceptional rock and roll, stuff the Who should be proud of.

The highlights they selected for the `30 Years' video is definitely rockin'.
Townshend still wanted to prove it, and Entwistle is on the stage, so how
could it be anything but great? Unfortunately, the only other '79 I have is a
god-awful Washington cassette.

> and the stuff from ESSEN in 81 is good and
>could be a potential official release, but there is a falloff from the
earliest
>Kenney-era stuff at this point. (I don't blame Jones so much as I blame
>Townshend for his ennui with the band and the struggle he encountered trying
>maintain the band and his solo career).

I hear they were playing more new stuff before the Essen show. But, of
course, this was the Pete-on-drugs period. I've heard the coke got him to
play some really great solos, though.