Re: Word from England, re: Isle Of Wight (and more)Sun Dec 7 12:53:45 PST 1997

>Well, if we have time to change their minds, we should. After the success of
>LIVE AT LEEDS, they should be convinced of the marketablility of a live
>boxed set. Tom Petty put out a 6 disk set after just releasing a greatest

Care to give some numbers? Just how many copies have been sold? What
is considered "success"? Is "success" defined by the happy listeners
on this list? :-)

Also, what is the motivation for releasing more live stuff (according
to the "office")? Are they just trying to make money? Or are they just
trying make stuff available for the completists?  If the latter, why
not borrow a trick from the Dead and release discs that are
acknowledged to be flawed in some ways (e.g., Dicks Picks), and sell
them through channels other than stores (e.g., mail order only,
advertising in places the die hards hang out).  That would keep
the costs of the project low.

Thomas