Laser turntables and such...

Laser Turntables
================
Chris Thomas wrote:
>On this subject- has anyone heard of such a thing as laser turntables?

and LP Junkie...
>I've heard of such a thing.  Believe it or not, they do exist.  I remember
>reading about them in audio magazines a few years ago.  The process works
>much the same way as a compact disc player, but, instead of using a stylus to
>play records, a laser reads the groove.

There was a small article on them in the UK Record Collector mag early this year
I think.  From memory the players used about 5 lasers to read the groove and a
price of about 15,000 "English pounds" was quoted.  I'll try and dig the article
out again.

TKAA
====
Amy West wrote:
>Also, is Rock and Roll Circus ever going to be released?
>It would be great to have to whole thing.  But that shrunken
>down screen is hard to take.  That may be one reason why
>Quick One was cut short.  It gets annoying after a while.
>Is all of R-N-R Circus like that?  Or did they use different
>formats for the different bands?
The idea behind that annoying shrunken down "letter-boxed" format is so you can
get the full cinema screen "experience" and not lose the left and right edges of
the image in the translation to the small screen.  Quite a few films have been
released on video in their entirety in this way (Apocolypse Now is one example I
think).  I think after about 5 minutes it becomes a pain in the butt unless
you've got a mammoth TV.

Regards,
Denis.

PS - My Roger acting faves: Tommy/McVicar/Mack The Knife - most of the others do
indeed tend to smell of turkey...