Discovery about vinyl

I don't appreciate vinyl over CD as some more discerning Who listeners do,
but I HAVE discovered one thing about vinyl that makes records worth holding
on to:

I wanted to hear my Entwistle LPs, but didn't want to ruin 'em with the old
needle that had been on my cartridge since someone gave me this old
turntable. So I bought a replacement needle from Pfansteil (sp?) though Radio
Shack. The first one just slid across the entire LP. The second one tracked,
but I eventually realized it sounded weird--real bright. It turned out the
thing had been wired backwards and I was hearing the channels
out-of-phase--the same as if you reverse the left and right wires coming out
of the cartridge (the +). Now, my father's old Sherwood amp has a phase
reversal switch, but it switches phase in the pre-amp and the effect is not
nearly as dramatic as I was getting from the backward needle.
On stuff from the Quad LP you often lose almost everything but Keith because
apparently he was the only thing recorded partly in mono. I'd say the most
dramatic thing is that Entwistle becomes `conspicuous in his absence'. Often
Roger is missing, too.