Re: def 71 boot

> From: redmann@ix.netcom.com (michael mishura)
> Subject: def 71 boot/whos next/pure&easy/lifehouse
>
> hey now- speaking w/jeff w, we discussed the fact that there are
> definitive boots from some of the tours (at least 69- amsterdam,and 73-
> tales)and shakin all over/68- what is the best boot going around from
> the 71 tour? is it really the lifehouse live from 4/26/71- speaking of
> that, are there any other known shows from the jan-april 71 young vic
> stretch

The one I prefer is the San Francisco 12/12/71 show from the CD source.
It isn't the complete show as its lacking three or four songs that are on
the tape source, but in terms of sound quality it is comparable to the
"definitive boots".  It was most likely the last date of the Who's Next
tour too.

On an unrelated note, I've been listening to a tape of the Grateful Dead
singing the National Anthem before a SF Giant's game, and they do an
excellent job, but they didn't customize it to fit their style.  While I
doubt the Who would ever have sung the National Anthem (it's not their
nation for one thing), I did see the original pre-Broadway cast of "Tommy"
sing the National Anthem before a San Diego Padres game in 1992.  Say what
you want about the play (I saw it twice that summer myself), they
performed the best rendition of the National Anthem I've ever heard.  They
made full use of the 20+ singers in the cast, with wonderful harmonies and
lead sharing.

Steve