Re: who's Next - Aug?

[ultragold being released on the 29th]

>BTW I was talking to the guy at the disc store and he had a theory on why
>the disc is coming out without bonus tracks as well as with them.  He believes
>that since Townshend is so heavily involved and because Who's Next was
>really an
>abridged Lifehouse - that Who's Next will become Lifehouse.
>
>He thinks that the songs from Who's Next and Lifehouse songs left off the album
>will be reshuffled into an order meant to reflect the running order of
>Lifehouse had it been released originally. Thus being the reason for two
>versions - one for people wishing only for a copy of Who's Next(as we now know
>it) and those looking for a copy of Lifehouse as originally intended.
>

>I refuted this claim on three counts:
>
>      If Who's Next becomes Lifehouse (in the running order originally
>         intended) what will happen to MY WIFE?

Presumably it'll be put on the new Odds & Sods. :)

>      It is not possible to recreate Lifehouse just as it is not possible to
>         recreate The Beach Boys' SMILE album - in both cases the albums as
>         intended were never finished. To recreate it they'd have to finish it
>         - ie go back to the studio as a group and resume recording - and i
>         just cant see that happening.  Also some songs that were finished or
>         nearly finished have been damaged or lost - eg Time Is Passing, Mary.

It could be that they've been found, bought back from bootleggers, etc...
and it might be possible to create a reasonable semblance of Lifehouse..
Maybe not a complete version, but an approximate version with some
rough tracks is certainly possible.

But I have to agree that it sounds dubious.

>      Lastly if they could find all the tapes that comprise a completed
>         Lifehouse in acceptable condition it would almost definitely
>         constitute a double CD package - and I have heard no word from any
>         knowledgable source which would suggest this as the case.

But it doesn't appear to be even close to release, so how would
anyone know?

Chris