Re: Melody Maker review of AQO/WSO

In a message dated 95-07-31 14:55:25 EDT, kwinn@chrome.com (Kevin Winn)
wrote:

>>find Townshend's descent from pop prophet to washed-up rock apologist
>>particularly nauseating (though there's actually something compelling
>>about the apocalyptic self-pity of 1975's millionaire whingefest "The
>>Who By Numbers").
>
>Has Pete ever apologized for *anything* ?

I don't think that was what the writer meant. According to Webster's New
Twentieth Century, Unabridged, Second Edition:

Apologist: 1. One who makes an apology
                2. One who speaks or writes in defense of a doctrine, faith,
action, etc.

   It is clear from the context that the writer meant the second definition,
that Pete is one who defends (promotes, explains, etc.) Rock music. This
usage is derived from the original usage in what is known as Christian
Apologetics, in which the aim is not to apologize for Christianity, but to
defend and promote Christianity.

   So what the writer is saying is that Pete went from genuine prophet to
washed-up defender/promoter of rock music. I don't agree, of course, just
wanted to set the record straight.

   Sometimes the teacher in me just has to come out.

Kevin B. O'Brien
kevino3403@aol.com