dudes who play guitar who you didn't think could, and vice versa...

To continue the thread (or whatever you call it) a bit further....

I have to throw in Steve Winwood on the Tommy bit (thought he was just a keyboard man - he really should
ditch that homogenous crap and play more guitar), and Peter Tork of the Monkees.  I guess he had
nothing better to do with his time between '71 or thereabouts and '86 but learn how to play properly, which
he certainly does....  There is the picture of Daltrey from about '70 or '71 in the Jeff Stein Who
book (preceding his directing TKAA by several years) playing a Dan Electro (Dan Armstrong?) clear guitar
backstage.  Van Halen switched instruments, too... Oh, yeah, McCartney switched from guitar to bass and
 back for awhile - his post Beatles guitar playing had that same clipped sound that his bass playing
had - Lennon noted that you could tell the three of them apart on the "The End" solo - yep, McCartney's
 there, playing his clipped leads - truly a bass player that happened to pick up guitar rather than
the historical facts indicate years earlier. Oh, yeah, there's Captain Sensible, who started out
 with the Damned playing bass (and not REALLY good, mind you) and moving on to replace Brian James
 on guitar, and extremely capably, I might add, though the 1st album is so DAMNED good I was highly
 skeptical believing anybody else could replace Brian James (who played SGs through Hiwatts, mind you...),
 but he did - Playing SGs through Hiwatts, once again... Hmmm.. must be a pattern here. Finally, the last
guy that immediately comes to mind was Noel Redding, who was a guitar player but auditioned for the
Experience playing bass for the 1st time (if you believe or even bother to read the account by Pamela
DesBarres in "I'm With The Band".  Yeah, right, baby, you're with the band, all right).

 I think it's most indicative  of the fact that these dudes are really musical in the
bones, and found their groove in whatever instrument they ended up playing the majority of
their careers because it was truly meant to happen...