Re: QUESTIONS OF THE WEEK

Marty asked the musical questions:
>1) Is it essential for your experience as a WHO fan to be a completist in
>terms of band member's solo efforts? In other words, do you, as a WHO fan,
>need all the solo albums in order to fully understand/appreciate the scope
>of the WHO's importance/artistic development?

It's not essential for me to RETAIN all the solo work - I've HEARD all the
various efforts, including Keith's album.  Some stuff I like better than
others.  But I don't keep *everything* - just what I like to listen to.  I
don't aquire things for collective purposes, I aquire things for active
listening!

PT is a special case because he fascinates me so much as a person.  I've
heard all his solo stuff and have kept everything but "Iron Man" and
"Psychoderelict."  I find that the farther he gets away from the Who, the
less interested I am in his work.  Broadway shows do not thrill or impress
me, but I'm from the West Coast - what the hell do I know?  :)

I'm biased, being a bass player, but JE's albums are just *killer*,
especially "Smash Your Head..." which I was just listening to this weekend.
I have all of his solo albums, and pray daily that they will be released on
CD so that I can retire the poor things!

Daltrey isn't a good writer - his best efforts are written by others (PT,
namely), but I like "Ride a Rock Horse,"  so I kept that one.

Moon's album was mildly entertaining, but I didn't like it enough to keep
it.

>2) What is your stance on WHO bootlegs? For or against? Does listening to
>and/or owning/collecting have an effect on your appreciation of the WHO's
>overall body of work?

Boots are interesting. As far as being for or against, I don't think that
live boots are a bad thing, as the artist has already made the money from
the show(s).  Just knowing that a show would be taped would *not* make me
say "Well, I guess I won't go, because I can just get a tape from
so-and-so."

I enjoy hearing performances, but the low sound quality really detracts
from the overall experience for me.  I like hearing different versions of
songs I know, however.  I own a couple (thanks to Daniel in Australia!!),
and will probably pick up a few more.

I think that in the case of the Who, boots are less a big deal, because we
have what I consider to be *the* finest live rock album ever produced (and
recently expanded/remastered!!) as an official release.  All boots pale in
comparison to Leeds.  I listen to my boots occasionally, but for sheer live
terrifying ear-bleeding Who, I ALWAYS return to Leeds.

Good questions, Marty!

OK,
KLW
L@L11829