re:The Who Get Orchestrated, plus some good news

Alan writes:
>The RCA Victor label has embarked on a series of "orchestral rock"
>albums that curiously combine the worlds of rock and classical music
>Each title takes the reprtoire of a well-known rock act and renders it
>in a fully orchestrated arrangement, sometimes wih the help of the
>rockers themselves ...  The three surviving members of The Who ... are set to
>enter the studio in October to help record, and play along with, an orchestral
>album of their music.

Oh, God, say it ain't so...

I've heard the disks put out with orchestral versions of Yes and Pink Floyd,
and boy do they SUCK.  Especially the Floyd, which, for instance, has all the
edge filed off with huge violin sections playing the melody to "Another Brick
In The Wall."  The Yes stuff is a tiny bit more successful, but only because
their music is more orchestral in structure -- but imagine hearing
"Roundabout" or "Close To The Edge" in your dentist's office... (herk...)

                       ____________________

On a MUCH brighter note: apparently the gods have responded to my incessant
whining, and I am now in possession of two tickets for the DST tour, making a
stop October 19 in Eugene, Oregon at the fine Hult Center for the Perf. Arts!!!

Yahoo!!!

Even though I am skeptical about the orchestra (see above -- I am one of those
people who firmly believe in not mixing certain things together, like Ford
parts on a VW, gin and scotch, baseball and business, etc.), I have been
impressed with the review posted so far.  Plus I can't resist seeing even half
of the Who, and JE is still my personal bass-player hero.

I asked the ticket-seller (NOT TICKETRON -- this was at the ticket counter
for the venue) and the lady said that sales were going very well, that they
had already sold half the seats, and it was only the first day of sales.  The
concert has not been played up in the media at all (no posters, radio
announcements, etc.), just a flash on the marquee in front of the place.

This made up for a really crappy weekend...

OK,
KLW