intro and info

I have been reading this list for a month or two and thought I would
introduce myself.

I started listening to the who right after Keith Moon died and Who Are
You came out.  By the time high school rolled around, I was very much
into The Who, having been exposed through The Kids Are Alright at the
local movie theatre.

I bought all the regular albums I could find, rare singles, and
several bootlegs from Jeremiah's Record Exchange in Wilmington, DE
(I'm originally from Newark, DE).  I also bought buttons with either
"The Who" on it or pictures of the band or members.  I bought lots of
buttons!  I used to wear this jacket in high school with all my
buttons and pins on it.  It covered the whole front of the jacket.
Reflecting back on it, I guess I was just another "pop icon" in The
Who tradition!

In the early 80s, I saw an ad in Rolling Stone for a who fan club,
which I joined.  The address of the club was:

    The Who Club
    POB 731
    Princeton Junction, NJ 08550

Does anyone know if this club is still around?  I have the following
items I got from them:

    o Merchandise price list
    o Bootleg list
    o Discography & list of related recordings
    o Fanzines: (cover image)
	No. 1: June 1979 (John, Kenny, Roger, & Pete)
	No. 2: September 1979 (Lion graphic - "The Who and friends Roar In!")
	No. 3: December 1979 (Pete in windmill pose)
	No. 4: March 1980 (Pete sitting on the floor against a door)
	No. 5: June 1980 (Roger in microphone pose)
	No. 6: September 1980 (John playing bass)
	No. 7: December 1980 (Kenny playing drums)
	No. 8: March 1981 (Kenny, John, Pete, Roger smiling w/drinks)
	No. 9: June 1981 (Face dances image)
	No. 10: September 1981 (Keith as upper class businessman)
	No. 11: December 1981 (John, "Too Late The Hero" image)

I'm sure their bootleg list is a bit dated since it is from the early
80s, but I would be happy to type it in and send it to the list, or
put it up on my web page if anyone is interested.  One of my favorite
bootlegs is "Who's Zoo", a double album of rare and early tracks from
the Who's career.  Some of this material has appeared on "Who's
Missing", etc., but some of it hasn't.  Does anyone know if Who's Zoo
ever appeared on CD?  I would love to see a list of CD boots with
commentary on their sound quality.

I managed to see The Who live in concert exactly once.  It was in 1982
at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia.  I was somewhat disappointed with the
show because the crowd was mostly a bunch of drunken sods that
wouldn't stop crushing the fans at the front near the stage.  At one
point PT had to stop playing in the middle of the song and ask
everyone to move back a step to avoid crushing people.  This was the
first "mega concert" I'd ever been to and I was really disappointed.
Opening acts were The Hooters (a local band) and Pete's favorite band
at the time, The Clash.  The Clash put on a good show, but
unfortunately they had played Philly earlier and so their fans weren't
present.  This resulted in the drunken sods tossing oranges at Joe
Strummer and practically booing them off the stage.

Oh, just thought of something else...does anyone know if "Rough Mix"
is available on CD?  How about "Too Late The Hero"?

						-- Rich
--
http://www.xmission.com/~legalize	Legalize Adulthood in Utah!
legalize@xmission.com