RFI: Trainspotter Help NeededSun Dec 7 12:14:22 PST 1997

	Right up front, we want to apologize for this massive
cross-posting. It is important to us that we reach as many of you as
we can, since you are the people that we are creating this program
for. However, we are sorry if some of you have to look at this more
than once (special apologies to Lazlo Nibble and Dave Datta, who will
each be seeing this around five or six times). With that out of the
way, this is a:

REQUEST FOR INFORMATION
-----------------------

	My friend David Tolliver and I, Forrest Norvell, are designing
a music database system (which we've nicknamed "Trainspotter" ;).
Our chief goals for the system are that it be very flexible and fast.
If this doesn't sound very specific, it's because it isn't -- we're
trying to get your input without giving you any preconceptions about
what it is we're trying to do.
	What do we want from you? Simple -- information! What sort of
features would you like to see in a program like this? What sort of
information are you interested in tracking (about labels, groups and
their members, releases and their tracks, and similar things)? Are
there other music cataloging programs that you've used, and if you
have, what have you liked and disliked about them? Are there
special-purpose features that you've never seen implemented but would
like to? In short, if you could create a dream program to keep track
of your music collection, what would you want?
	Tell us! Send your suggestions to me at ogd@selway.umt.edu
with the word "Trainspotter" in the subject line. PLEASE BE CAREFUL
TO REPLY ONLY TO ME! We're imposing on the good graces of the net
enough as it is, and we don't want to be responsible for a huge
torrent of flames and counterflames.
	As you can tell from the huge number of addresses in the To:
field, we are anticipating a large number of replies, so don't be
upset if we don't get right back to you. However, if you do take the
time to make a thoughtful reply, we will try our best to make sure
that we get an equally thoughtful response back to you in a timely
fashion.

Thank you VERY much for your time in advance,
Forrest Norvell
ogd@selway.umt.edu