roger daltrey is alive and well

Late response to Martin's post re: the Pittsburgh show.

    i enjoyed the whole show.  something that really struck me was simon
    townshend's resemblence to his brother, in appearence and voice.  i mean, i
    know this happens with brothers, but the resemblence really stood out to me.

Me (us) too.  He moves very much like Pete, crouching/kneeling,
strutting around the stage, using the guitar like a gun, etc.  Cool.

    john entwhistle introduced 'boris the spider' by saying something about
    wanting to change the name of the song to 'manny the spider' or maybe he said
    'mary the spider,' or maybe i totally misunderstood what he said.  anybody
    have ideas or comments on that?

In Philly he introduced it as "Philip the Praying Mantis."  No theory
here on why he's doing that, just another data point.  I really liked
the arrangement, too, with the additional music from "Jaws," "Night on
Bald Mountain," and carnival music.

    i was disappointed with the crowd's behavior, which was marred by drunken
    obnoxiousness.

Well, I was disappointed by the Wolf Trap audience, which sat on their
hands the whole time (except for the songs they recognized, Pinball
Wizard and WGFA, where they dutifully rose) and shouted and threw things
at me and my friends when we stood up early in the show.  The Philly
audience was better in a way; they stood up and were reasonably into the
show, but people (in our row, at least) kept leaving to try to move to
better seats, getting shooed back by security, and trying again.  Made
for a lot of distracting motion.  I don't know what my ideal audience
would be, even.  Maybe my dislike of crowds (and advancing age? -- nah)
just means I can't be satisfied (is that another mailing list? :-)
anymore.

Alan

P.S.:  Any advertising executives out there?  Find out which airline the
tour is using and consider this for a campaign:

Allstar (or whatever) Airlines:  the official airline of the "Daltrey
Sings Townshend" tour.  If _you_ wanna die before _you_ get old--fly
Allstar.