Daltrey, windmills, and substitute

The Daltrey show at Wolf Trap was absolutely mind-boggling. I am so glad I made
it. It was a 5 hour drive and I swear, I'd do it again. He still has it!
I must say that I was surprised that John did 'Boris' and 'My Wife'! I mean,
this was called 'Daltrey sings Townshend'....But what a pleasant surprise! I was
impressed with Simon's enthusiasum and playing. He sounds a lot like Pete
singing, too. One last note - I think Wolf Trap was *the* coolest venue I have
ever seen a show at. Most places treat you like you're trouble, but they were
so cool...Completely hassle free! Free parking, allowing coolers in, selling
mixed drinks, and the layout itself, made for a most enjoyable evening.
I'll be back.
I saw the Stones on Wednesday and Roger on Saturday. I know it's apples and
oranges, but I would *strongly* suggest that you who can, catch Rog on
these remaining dates....musically, there's no doubt which show I enjoyed more.

>What would *you* say if someone asked for the loan of your
 >windmill ?

As I read it, Pete was backstage at a Stones show, and, before the curtain
went up, Keith was stretching out and did a few slow-motion windmills while
warming up. Later that night, Pete asked him if he would mind if he did them...
Hey, at least he asked! I love Keith, but I really don't think he could *ever*
have brought the windmill to the levels that PT took 'em...

>I have been wondering why there don't seem to be any Who tribute/cover bands.
>At least, I haven't heard of any in my neck of the woods, and would like to if
>there are.

I have seen them for Led Zep ('Stairway to Heaven', and 'Physical Graffiti'),
the Stones ('Blushing Brides'), and the Doors ('Back Doors'). It's always
kinda fun to see these kind of bands. I have long thought about why there
hasn't been a Who band... Among other reasons, there is the  obvious -
people would *expect* to see a guitar smashed. The Who could hardly afford to
do it themselves in the beginning ("I used to rush into Marshall's guitar
shop and steal guitars off the wall. Just taking a guitar - pay you Tuesday!").
I do have the *perfect* name for the band, though. SUBSTITUTE.
Another problem you would have in creating such a band would be finding an
appropriate Keith. This would be really tough to do.
On a related note, though, my Who guru and friend, Jon Heames, is as close as
anyone I've ever seen to a reincarnated Keith. His band 'Motocaster' has
been compared to 60's era Who in every write-up I've seen. They have just
released their first full length album on Atlantic/Interscope records called
'Stay Loaded'. Musically, I think they sound a little closer to 'grunge' than
Who (he'd kill me if he heard me say that), but there is no doubt who *his*
influence is. On their EP 'Acid Rock' they do a cover of 'Dogs 2'. It is
awesome. They are  getting ready to tour in support of their new album, so
if you see them in your area - check them out. You'll swear that Keith was in
town!

-the mayor