Re: Nicky Hopkins/Keith Richards comments

"Ian M. Derby" <csc2imd@cabell.vcu.edu> writes:

> In everything I've read, it seems Keith Richards sees Pete and the
> Who as a band that annoys him.  I remember in Maximum R+B by Richard
> Barnes (I loved that book so much the binding fell apart)

My binding fell apart, too - so I don't know how much
love had to do with it. :)

[examples of Condescending Stones deleted]

Also, in '89, at the press conference to announce the
Stones' "Steel Wheels" tour, the Who came up a couple of times.

When asked if they were doing it for the money, Ron Wood
said "That's the Who", and Mick, when asked if they were going
to be doing something similar to the Who's already announced
tour, retorted, "You mean, are we gonna do our opera?"

Keith, it seems, simply does not like competition. He had
a barely concealed contempt for Jimmy Page in the 70s, when
Zeppelin regularly gave the Stones' attndance records a run
for their money in the States.

For his part, Mick showed up at Who and Zeppelin shows,
probably to check out the competition as much as anything else,
although in '82 in Philadelphia, the relationship seemed cozy
as MJ schmoozed backstage with sundry 'Oo personnel.

Pete inducted the Stones into the Rock and Roll Hall of
fame in 1989 and wrote a 40th birthday tribute for Mick, both of
which were liberally sprinkled with teasing and cajoling.

On an opinionated note, it's just my observation that Pete and
the Who have always been a wearing-your-heart-on-your-sleeve,
deadly serious kind of entity, whereas the Stones are more
known for their stoicism and occasional cruelty.

It is two diametrically opposed, uh, viewpoints if you will,
and one of them has a built-in sign that says "kick me".
When someone is immature enough to follow those instructions,
that Stones-Who dynamic is what happens, even at much smaller,
one-on-one levels, where you are not dealing with superstar
rock groups.

Just my $0.02

|Tony Rzepela              |<rzepela@cvi.hahnemann.edu>|                     |