RE: ICSFM mixSun Dec 7 12:14:22 PST 1997

>From: Jukka Salo <k20963@kyyppari.hkkk.fi>
>Subject: ICSFM mix
>Date: Wed, 31 Aug 1994 19:19:48 +0300 (EETDST)

[...]
>I think that mix also appears on 'Direct Hits', the compilation
>released in the UK in 1968. And it sounds just like the so called BBC
>version, discussed a while ago. It MUST have been remixed by Entwistle
>:')

I checked this [lot] out last night.  For reference I'll call the 'standard'
version the stereo mix that which appeared on MBBB (assuming that's the same
between UK and US versions...)

UK - single (mono) - Much more prominent bass, but its level in the mix is
lowered after the introduction, although it still remains present.  Pete's
opening crash also feels much stronger/harsher too. (Same as US single?)
UK - Sell Out (mono/stereo) - can't discern any major difference between
this and combining the MBBB stereo version (other than the way a stereo mix
always sounds different when doing this)
BBC - session - bass more prominent than (even) the single mix.  It starts
high in the mix and remains high.  Perhaps JE mixed this for the Beeb
(remembering how he apparently turned up the bass level for the final verse
when mixing Substitute - a feature which JE says has been 'lost' on all
issues except the original single).  Pete's opening guitar 'crash' is not as
loud as single.
UK - Direct hits (mono/enhanced stereo) - Remixed, and sounds rather weak
IMHO.  The track starts with Rotosound Strings at "Hold..." (ie omitting the
drum intro).  Notable difference between this and MBBB is that the vocal
kind fades out at the end of the first phrase ("...here's a  surprise".).
 The German "Best of" with identical track listing to Direct Hits also
features this mix.
And then there's the normal remixes on TKAA and MaxRnR.

MCW