Re[2]: Jools and Jim

1994 11:00:10 -0700
h SMTP id LAA11011 for <thewho@cisco.com>; Tue, 25 Oct 1994 11:00:07 -0700
From: John Johanneson <JOHANNESON@macc.wisc.edu>
SMTP-CCMail translator Ver: acm 3.00 4/8/94

>Are there really a Jools and Jim in england ?

Jools refers to Julie Burchill (sp?) a British rock music
critic who wrote an article after the death of Moon indicating
that in her opinion it was no great loss, hence all the
journalism references in the song. 'Jimmy' was a rock writer too,
but I forget his full name. "Jools and Jim" is a pun on the French
movie of the same name directed by Francois Truffaut.

---->Julie Burchill and TONY PARSONS are the authors of
     "The Boy Looked At Johnny",a book of rock criticism
     that dumps on pretty much all '60's-bred rockers,and applauds
     the punk rock movement of the late '70's (although they dump
     on most of the punk musicians,too...the only ones they like
     are Tom Robinson and Joan Jett)
     In their opinion then,if you're an older rocker,you're fat
     and lazy and irrelevant,etc.
     (even a Sex Pistols fan like me realizes this as nonsense!)

     At any rate,Burchill and Parsons wrote all sorts of
     music paper articles along this myopic line of thought,
     and this is where the nasty Moon references came from
     (which spawned the Jools and Jim title).

          CARL

>And whats with the Oklahoma! reference in the song  ?

Paul McCartney mentions 'Oklahoma' in a mid-eighties
song called "Press." Maybe it's some sort of secret British
rock-star slang.