Re: Bad boot translations

On Sun, 9 Oct 1994, Michael Thomas wrote:

> Joseph,
>   I deal in bootleg cd's as a hobby and have seen this a million
> times.  What happened is that it is legal to print up the labels in
> any country but these cds are illegal.  What the bootleggers try to
> do is "fool" or confuse the authorities and/or the makers of the cds.
> Sometimes the actual people who press the cd's don't realize that
> they're making bootlegs.  I hope this helps.
> Mike

I never thought about it that way... :)
This would explain why the guy I buy some boots from never has "assembled"
cds.  He has the packaging stored separately from the actual cds.  This
must cut down the risk of getting caught in customs.  I wonder if
there are cd pressing plants that exclusively make boots.

Anyway, here's the right answers for the song titles:
Express (Can't Explain) - Young Blues (Young Man Blues) - Wait (Water)
Shaker (Seeker) - Submarine (Substitute) - Over There (Overture)
Bad Boy (It's A Boy) - 1984 (1921) - Speaks (Amazing Journey/Sparks)
Blind Face (Eyesight To The Blind) - New Years Day (Christmas)
The Disco Queen (Acid Queen) - Pinball Game (Pinball Wizard)
It's Alright (Do You Think It's Alright) - About You (Fiddle About)
Can You Tell Me (Tommy Can You Hear Me) - There's A Place (There's A Doctor)
Go Ahead (Go To The Mirror) - Smash It Up (Smash The Mirror)
Cure (Miracle Cure) - Are You Free? (I'm Free)
Holiday In The Sun (Tommy's Holiday Camp)
We're Gonna Groove (We're Not Gonna Take It)

This is a 2 cd set called "Who Is Tommy?"  The first cd is labeled Leeds
1970, but probably isn't because it has 2 versions of Can't Explain, 3
versions of Fortune Teller, and 3 Young Man Blues.  Actually 2 of the
Fortune Tellers are the same but the tape is running at different
speeds!  Some of this is probably from Leeds, including Sparks, Heaven &
Hell, Fortune Teller and Tattoo.

The second cd is a fair quality audience tape of Dallas, 6/19/70, songs
listed above.  The date is probably accurate because Rog mentions that
The Seeker was their last single.  He says it climbed the charts like
"an elephant climbing a ladder."  I don't think they played this much in
concert.  Rog also says Water was recorded right before the tour.  Lots of
between song talk, and Moon introduces Can't Explain.

-----Joe