Newsgroups: alt.music.who
From: dyoung@sol.UVic.CA (OL' STUFFER)
Subject: Found a bunch of stuff.
Sender: news@sol.UVic.CA
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 94 20:55:31 GMT

Recently, a friend of mine was digging through old records and found some
letters addressed to "The High Numbers" and "The Who".  We are wondering if
it is authentic, and if so, what it is worth.  Below is a brief summary of
the found articles.

  1)  Letter to Kit Lambert Esq., from John Burgess, printed on EMI Records
      letterhead, dated Oct. 22, 1964.  The text is something to the effect
      of "Dear Mr. Lambert,  I have listened again and again, to the High
      Numbers' white labels, taken from our test session and still cannot
      decide whether or not they have anything to offer..."

  2)  Contract between Woodstock Ventures Inc. and New Action LTD,
      Furnishing the Services of The Who.  One, one hour show on
      August 16, 1969.  Amount of service listed at $12,500.  Printed
      on yellow paper, bearing Premium Talent Associates, INC letterhead.
      Two signatures:  one is illegible, but the other is Michael Lang.

  3)  Letter from Barry Perkins (signed in blue pen) of King's Agency
      (Variety) Limited to Christopher Lambert, Esc., 84 Eaton Place,
      London, S.W.I.  Text follows: "Dear Sir, I regret to inform you
      that THE WHO's engagement at the Locarno Ballrom, Swindon, on
      Thursday 15th April has now to be cancelled.  This is due to the
      fact that the Promoter has had a lot of trouble there recently and
      he feels that THE WHO are not the type of Group that would go well
      in his Ballroom..."

  4)  NOTICE Before Proceedings under the county courts acts.
      From Jenning's Musical Industries Ltd.
      To R. Lambert - WHO  113, IVOR Court, London
      "Your attention is called to the GOODS outstanding below and you are
      now informed that unless some arrangements be made THE GOODS TO BE
      RETURNED before 10-March-1965  immediate proceedings will be taken
      against you.
      - VOX Phampton Guitar & Case
      - VOX Piano Bass
      - Cheque returned from bank
      Dated March 6, 1965

  5)  What appears to be a type written lyric sheet "My Generation" with
      a few very faded (rubbed off pencil?) scribbles saying "leave stutter
      out on final record". Ha Ha!

  6)  What  appears to be a revenue tally for an evening gig.  ****UEE Club,
      90 Wardour Street, London W.1. Box Office.  Date 1-12-64(?)
      Admissions  and Cloakrooms  in Pounds, s. d.
      Deductions for coffee bar and advance, and payments to musicians.
      unreadable paid 3 pounds.
      John       paid 1 pound.
      Keith      paid 2 pounds.
      Roger      paid 2 pounds.
      Peter      paid 1 pound.
      Mike       paid 1 pound - owes ?nya 10 pounds.

  7)  Tour sheet (HIGH NUMBERS) from 26th July to 1st Aug.

Does anybody know anthing about this???

-Darin & Mark