Thoughts on VH-1 special

> How 'bout them "Rarities"?  Nothing special except good interviews and
> I'm Free from the London Coliseum.  Pete seems to be in a great mood in
> recent interviews; I think he can finally put the Who in the past and
> place their role in music in perspective.  I think Pete should write an
> autobiography.
> I was surprised to see an camera IN FRONT of the stage at the London
> Coliseum!  I want to see more of this show!

Ditto!!  They should really consider releasing Tanglewood and London
Coliseum as separate concert tapes.

> I agree with Pete that '89 was The Who On Ice.  Tommy lends itself to an
> elaborate production (especially horns) but the Giants Stadium show was
> pretty bland.  Toronto was better than I remembered; I'll need to get a
> copy of the whole show now!

On the interviews for the 30 years video, you get the sometimes
bitter Townshend ("That was one of our good gigs, I don't know why
we played so well"----Isle of Wight) but the rarities showed PT in a
much more jovial and ready to praise Roger and John at every
chance.  It's funny how both Roger and Pete make light of Moon's
death.  "We were bashing away and didn't noticed the drummer had
died (snicker)" --PT "I also wish we could've saved Moonie, but I
don't think anyone could've saved him (laughs)" --RD Though this may
sound cruel on the surface, I think it shows they really loved him
and it still hurts to discuss his death.

The best quote was Rogers, where he said that the Who have made
their mark in rock history and that they were original.  He said
when you listen to the Stones you can still hear Chuck Berry, but
with the Who you can't draw comparisions.

The "Who On Ice" comment is so sadly the truth.  The Giants stadium
show almost had a Beach Boys type theme cranking out the old hits.
At least with the Tommy performance there is a concept, so it
doesn't seem so worn out.  Also when you compare that show with
concerts in the past, it does appear to just go through the
motions.  Again the two Tommy shows in '89 were the exception.