Re: Live at Leeds

On Sat, 26 Nov 1994 B0RN2RUN@aol.com wrote:

> My only concern is that Charlesworth and Astley won't be able to resist
> tinkering with the material that's left.  Take "Heaven and Hell," for
> instance.  I know that they wanted to include a live version of this song on
> the box set, and the fact they ultimately went with the studio version (in
> mono, no less) suggests that they deemed the Leeds recording unworthy of
> official release.  So it seems unlikely that they'd include it on the Leeds
> CD, which is unfortunate.  I also doubt whether they'd include the
> full-length version of Shakin all Over (with Spoonful), since they used the
> edited version on the box set.

Same goes for the edited Young Man Blues.  The section of the guitar solo
that was cut on the album version is sort of muffed by Townshend.

A while back I added a bootleg to the list called "Who Is Tommy?".  The
second CD has a complete 1970 show sans Heaven & Hell and encores.  The
first CD, which I just recently listened to, has multiple versions of
non-Tommy songs.

All of these cuts sound like they're from the Fall '69 American tour,
which were all supposedly taped but later burned.  They are soundboard tapes
with bass and guitar split L & R, just like Leeds.  At one point Pete says
that anyone who says "Hi Mom" will be on the album.

One thing nearly all the songs have in common is that they are muffed in
some way.  The extended versions of My Generation and Young Man Blues
have sections where Pete is just improvising and the band has to figure
out what he's doing.  It's a miracle that the Leeds version of My Generation
is a perfect as it is.  Maybe this was edited too?

-----Joe