Tape Tree basics

Okay, all ... here's the basics on how a tape tree works:

Basically someone who has a decent sounding copy of a show makes several
copies. This person then advertises the tree and organizes it. After everyone
signs up, the tree administrator (me in this case) sorts through the
and picks the branches. The criteria for selecting the branch leaders is
usually based on how good their recording equipment is--this is done to
insure
that the "leaves" (people who get their copies  from the branch leaders) get
as good a sounding copy as possible. Another factor for branch selection
might
be previous relabilty with other trades--in other words I'm more likely to
pick as branch leader someone who was quick and reliable in a previous
tree/trade then someone I had to hound to complete the trade. Anyhow once the
branches are chosen, the full tree structure gets posted. The tree
administrator and branches arrange on getting the branches the tapes. IT IS
THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE LEAVES TO CONTACT THE BRANCH
LEADERS TO ARRANGE TO GET THEIR TAPES.

If you have something to trade for the tapes (this goes for the branch
leaders getting the tapes from the tree administrator AND the leaves getting
their copies from the branch leader) by all means arrange the trade. If you
have nothing to trade, just send blanks AND return postage--after all one of
the motives for running trees is to help beginners get started. People on the
tree should arrange recording criteria (i.e. Dolby) amongst themselves
(personally I never use dolby for this kind of stuff--the dolby circuitry
varies from machine to machine so you're not damping out exactly what was
boosted on recording, but this is another discussion---branches should be
willing and able to accomodate others requests on this issue).

  A couple of pet peeves about trees:

       1. Branch leaders who don't take their responsibilities seriously.
Don't volunteer to be a branch leader if you're not going to have the time
to make the copies you VOLUNTEERED for.

       2. Leaves that disappear. Please don't sign up for the tree if you're
not serious about wanting a copy

Now legitimate reasons arise that can cause you to be unable to fulfill your
committments--I'm not talking about those--I'm talking about the basically
unreliable people (the same ones whose dogs always ate their homework while
they were in public school)

 Anyhow, that's it in a nutshell. Corrections and suggestions are welcome.