backwards

>--> There is a guitar/studio gizmo called a 'tape reverse simulator'
>    that does make a guitar sound like it's being played backwards.
>    (the solo on R.E.M.'s single,"What's The Frequency Kenneth"
>    is a modern day example.)
>    This gadget can be used in a live setting.   - Carl -

Wow. How could I forget. This may not be what was used, but in the Oct. 1994
Guitar World (I think that's right) interview, Pete talks about inventing
this gadget with a friend of his.... It is actually a tape loop, that
records one way while it plays the other way. Thus, giving the *effect* of
playing backwards, without having to *really* record something and flipping the
tape around... This could be used live...  This was a long time ago, too.
Anybody else out there know what I'm talking about???
-the mayor