synth tracks

Someone on alt.rock-n-roll.classic claims the Who used backing tapes
on Live At Leeds to boost their live sound.  Can anyone
prove/disprove this?  He ranted on how the Who used tapes to
recreate the backing synth for Baba O' Riley while they should've
used musicians etc.  Now I know this, but personally I think the guy
is a little anal.  It was a sacrilege to him that there were backing
musicians for "unledded"
However I've never heard instances where the Who
used tapes to boost the bass and guitar.  There is one segment
during Magic Bus where you hear a couple measures that's backwards, but that
appears  to be added afterward in the studio.  (this is right before Roger
starts singing).

This is B.S.  Sure, they used tape to play the synth part, probably because
they wanted to be sure to recreate the *exact* part that they had laid out.
That's obviously why Keith wore headphones - to hear the synth track. They
wanted to keep it a four man band, and Pete's only got 2 hands, so it was the
only choice. As far as the 'backwards' guitar on MAGIC BUS, there certainly
are effect boxes that could do that. It sounds like what is refered to as a
"reverse gate" to me. If that dude doubts Pete's *backwards* playing, he
should listen to TOMMY DEMOS version of SPARKS!
	Back to the synth thing. That really was a milestone for The Who,
as far as touring goes. They had never used anything like it before - and they
kept it with them for the rest of their career. That DOES NOT take anything
away from from their live show. Hell, at the time, it was PIONEERING a new
sound. Not to take anything away from Rabbit, but I'm glad they stayed a four
man band as long as they did. It just  had a different feel.....even if a
tape machine was a member of the band for two songs.
	If any of you have seen Pink Floyd lately, you've got to agree that
their show is completely run by a computer - linking (d)tape machines, lights,
midi keyboards and everything. I found myself wondering just how much of what
I was hearing, was being played by live musicians. A great show, they have
taken that approach to it's limits... I'd still trade a whole tour of Floyd
shows for ONE WHO '71 show!
-the mayor