The Who live (early 70's)

Someone on alt.rock-n-roll.classic claims the Who used backing tapes
on Live At Leeds to boost their live sound.  Can anyone
prove/disprove this?  He ranted on how the Who used tapes to
recreate the backing synth for Baba O' Riley while they should've
used musicians etc.  Now I know this, but personally I think the guy
is a little anal.  It was a sacrilege to him that there were backing
musicians for "unledded".

However I've never heard instances where the Who
used tapes to boost the bass and guitar.  There is one segment
during Magic Bus where you hear a couple measures that's backwards, but that
appears  to be added afterward in the studio.  (this is right before Roger
starts singing).