Who Comeback? No.

After reading the quotes from Pete Townshend's interview just now and
some remarks about another WHO tour or album, I have to agree with Pete
however unpopular here.

One of my favorite WHO quotes is Pete saying "The Who is a bloody wild
animal and it has to be fed chunks of raw meat and Southern Comfort.  It
can't feed on anything less."  Also, "There is no supression within the
group.  You are what you are and nobody cares.  We say what we want when
we want. . .  If we wre not like this it would destroy our stage
performance.  We play how we feel."  Both are from the liner notes in _The
WHO-Thirty Years of Maximum R&B Live_.

In my opinion, what made THE WHO The Who was their emotion and how they
presented it.  As time went by and the the band matured, the emotion they
expressed that we admire so much has passed.  To me, so much of the
attraction to The Who is relating to be the individuals public coping with
their emotions going through life as a rock star.  It would be rediculous
for a 40 something year old to write something like "I hope I die before
I get old" and mean it.

I like to think that Pete Townshend is interested in legitimately
expanding the bounds of Rock to include something it hasn't had the
chance to in the past.  Rock has traditionally been a medium for youth,
but the first generations of rock fans are well past their youth and some
are looking for more out of the medium than reliving the past.

To carry on as The Who would be a serious mistake to me, kind of like the
Eagles tour or the Robert Plant/Jimmy Page "Led Zep" thing.  THE WHO died
with Keith Moon.   I would love to see Townshend, Daltrey, and Entwisitle
work together in the future, perhaps writing as the people they ARE, not
what they were.  Daltrey's "Rebel" from UNDER A RAGING MOON is a perfect
example of the type of thing I would like to see from the New Who.

The thing that made The Who so great is they explored areas and emotions
never seen before.  By rehashing the past they are mocking themselves.  The
only way they can be great again is to explore areas which they and us
haven't seen yet.

Flames and comments more than welcome.

Kyle Ewing

ps.

Talking about "The Kids Are Alright", Townshend says on his Pay-Per-View
special "When you sing it and you're not a kid anymore, it feels. . .
What is it about?  Better leave her behind when the kids are alright."

pps.

Some background info. on me:  I'm 25 years old, loved THE WHO since I was
15, and feel like I've outgrown what they've done so far.  I stopped
relating to most of Quadrophenia after I entered college, and now enjoy The
WHO's later material and Townshend's solo material more than anything.

L O N G   L I V E   R O C K ! ! !