old Pete news/quotes re: new WhoSun Dec 7 12:17:46 PST 1997

I know that news of Pete not doing any more albums is old,
and that we all know he said no to a Who tour, but I thought
people might be interested in this. It's the transcript of
an interview from the BPI Entertainment News Wire from
9/29/94.

---
"As for new Who albums or a tour, he [PT] was surprisingly
forthright: 'I've not rerally considered it seriously. I think
I've been a bit wicked by saying that I might. That hurts
Roger John and the fans. I've been mischievous, keeping it
alive in the press, keeping interest in the catalogue.
   'To be honest, I own the catalogue and all the talk keeps
the value of that up. But this is not about money or playing
games with the press. There are real people involved here. So
now I will tell the truth" No. No more Who.'
    Daltrey may have a harder time dealing with that than
Townshend.
    'Roger is having problems removing himself emotionally
from the Who,' Townshend said. 'His "Daltrey Sings Townshend"
tour is quite tricky for me, because part of me is honored
but the other part says, "If it goes badly, I'm on the marquee."
So far the gate has been bad, but reviews have been good. But
I have a lot more invested as my young brother, Simon, is
part of the band.'
    'As for new Who projects,' Townshend continued, 'it would
be difficult to produce something out of thin air that would
set fire to the sky the way the memory of the Who seems to.
This tour is a rite of passage for Roger. He feels that the
Who is the band that he started, and he's right. I joined
*his* band, but then I drove it. When I passed over the wheel,
the truck skidded off the road. But Roger has stopped resenting
resenting, now it's regret--a longing to go further. This is
catharsis for him and he has to go through it.'
   Asked to look back at the last 30 years of the Who, Townshend
mused, 'I feel pretty good at the moment about the Who. I've
gone through a confusing period, made some mistakes. It's hard
to live with the deaths of Keith, Kit Lambert and the kids in
Cincinatti. But I've forgiven everybody, including myself.
I'm just very, very grateful to have survived, to survive the
chaos of that time.
---

This was just a portion of the interview. I left out some
stuff about the VH-1 weekend, since it already passed. All
spelling and other mistakes are more than likely mine.

--Jon