The Who's output topic of NY Times Magazine "Endpaper"

"Endpaper", a regular column written by guest authors weekly
in the back of the New York Times magazine, this week mysteriously
takes on the topic of the Who's penchant for recycling the little output
they have.

The article is written by one George Kalogerakis ("a regular contributor
to Vanity Fair and Vogue"), and it takes a good idea for an essay in, say,
SPIN, or the heyday of Creem, and dumbs it down enough for general
consumption, (i.e., enough to bore a Who fan to tears.)

It is accompanied by original art by Gary Panter which is supposed to
encompass the whole Who oevre in one painting, including allusions
to pinball, the Magic Bus, Quadrophenia, and the all-too-familiar
Union Jack.

"Tommy", being a big Broadway hit now, gets a lot of play in the
minds and age-group of the Times' Mag target demographic, so the author
dutifully spends time on it, listing the number of versions available,
and puts on a play multiple-choice quiz about what kind of version we can
expect next.

Another multiple choice asks which of five titles are NOT a Who
compilation (The answer: "A Quick One WHile He's Got Writer's Block (1979)")

Yup. That's about as witty as it gets.

To the author's credit, he does know his subject, and obviously loves
the Who - he's just not good enough to pull this idea off successfully.

The only pearl of news in the thing is Roger's response to a question
about a "Who Unplugged" set. (Roger: "I don't think the Who would
ever work in an Unplugged situation. _Maybe_ with Pete singing. My
voice is quite too heavy.")

  |Tony Rzepela  <rzepela@cvi.hahnemann.edu> | "The Who hurriedly released  |
  |  its own version of "Under My Thumb" and "It's All Over Now", vowing to |
  +- keep the Stones' music out there..." ------_Jagger Unauthorized_ ------+