Re: Avoid this CD

Alan writes:

> 	While in NY, I got a CD of The Who's entire Woodstock set, titled The
> 	Who Starring The Who?  Unfortunately, when I got it home and started to
> 	play along, I noticed the whole thing was speeded up a half tone, such
> 	that things played in A were being played in A#, D chords became D#,
> 	etc.

While it is entirely possible that the tape was speeded up a half tone,
keep in mind that this was 1969.  Bands didn't have the nice guitar
tuners that we have today.  It is quite possible that they tuned their
guitars up a half step that night.  It is quite a common practice for
bands to tune their guitars down a half step to get a grittier sound.
When you try to play along to old live recordings, sometimes you just
have to retune to them.  We old geezers sometimes had to do this when
our friends made us tapes of LP's to listen to and their turntables were
playing a little fast.
  I don't know what the overall sound quality of this CD is, but the
guitar tuning may not be a fair criticism of it.

-Jim

--
***************** ujhennin@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu (Jim Henning) **********************
       "Keith Richards once sent me a letter after reading one of my