Re: Shel Talmy

TheWho Digest e-orated:

> Date: Fri, 22 Jul 1994 11:40:25 EDT
> From: "Anthony J. Rzepela" <rzepela@cvi.hahnemann.edu>
> Subject: Re: Shel Talmy
>
> cbellomy@dale.hsc.unt.edu (Chris Bellomy) writes:
>
> > Shel Talmy produced all of The Who's recorded output from "I Can't
> > Explain" up to but not including "Substitute" (produced by PT).
> > This, of course, includes the _My Generation_ LP.
>
> In a 1993 interview with _Record Collector_ magazine, Ray Davies
> of the Kinks, when asked if he ever considered suing over the
> similarities between "I Can't Explain" and "All of the Day and All
> of the Night", stated that he felt The Kinks should have been able
> to sue not over any particular song, but over the Shel Talmy _style_,
> which was made popular by The Kinks, then, (claimed Ray) adopted
> by The Who.
>
> In Ray's mind, The Who (who opened for the Kinks while still
> the High Numbers) were nothing like their early records, and
> only adopted the style after seeing the more successful Kinks in
> action, and grabbing Talmy.

In a radio interview last week, Pete Townshend cited the Kinks as one of
the most influential, and most overlooked bands from that era.  Pete
went on to say that in 1965, when the Who was still more or less
starting out, he regarded Davies as a superior songwriter to Lennon and
McCartney.  He said that the Kink, as well as The Rolling Stones were big
influences on The Who.

-Jim

--
***************** ujhennin@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu (Jim Henning) **********************
       "Keith Richards once sent me a letter after reading one of my