Re: Shel Talmy

> >> similarities between "I Can't Explain" and "All of the Day and All
> >> of the Night", [...]
> >
> >Am I the only person that _doesn't_ find any obvious similarity to
> >these two songs?  I mean, sure there are the common guitar riffs, but
> >isn't every rock song pretty much a variant on a theme from this
> >period anyway?
>
> I agree that they don't seem real similar at first.  The melodies
> don't seem the same at all.  But as I run them through my head I
> can see similiarities in the rhythm.  And the tempo has got to be
> almost dead-on the same.  They both rely on that variation of the
> standard R-n-R/Surf music beat one-TWO-three-FOUR-AND, but so does
> a gazillion other songs of the era.  Someone with a better ear for
> chords then me would have to comment on whether they have the same
> chord changes.  But again, it's not like you could go copyright
> the I-IV-V progression!

Right, especially since AD&AofN isn't I-VI-V. :) If you play both
songs in the same key, let's say E, you get E-D-A-E for ICE and
E-D-G-E for AD&AofN. Also, ICE's rhythm is really
ONE-two-THREE-AND-four of course (no matter what Keith plays, when
dealing with the Who I usually listen to PT for rhythm... Same could
be said for AD&AofN, or any pre-heavy-distortion guitar band I
guess. Perhaps the fact that I'm a no-distortion electric guitar
player myself has something to do with it? ;)

Cheers,
Sander
--
Sander van Malssen