Re: Shel Talmy

cbellomy@dale.hsc.unt.edu (Chris Bellomy) writes:

> Shel Talmy produced all of The Who's recorded output from "I Can't
> Explain" up to but not including "Substitute" (produced by PT).
> This, of course, includes the _My Generation_ LP.

In a 1993 interview with _Record Collector_ magazine, Ray Davies
of the Kinks, when asked if he ever considered suing over the
similarities between "I Can't Explain" and "All of the Day and All
of the Night", stated that he felt The Kinks should have been able
to sue not over any particular song, but over the Shel Talmy _style_,
which was made popular by The Kinks, then, (claimed Ray) adopted
by The Who.

In Ray's mind, The Who (who opened for the Kinks while still
the High Numbers) were nothing like their early records, and
only adopted the style after seeing the more successful Kinks in
action, and grabbing Talmy.

Tony (rzepela@cvi.hahnemann.edu)