Comments on Rich's review (which was well done, by the way)

Rich sez:

> Ok, everyone out there who went out today and bought one or both of
> the sets raise your hands ...

	Here!

	I've only had the chance to listen to disc 1 so far (and watch all
	of the video, so I'll put in my 1.25 cents worth).

> Box Set:  First, a bit of criticism:  I was at first a little disappointed at
> the lack of previously unreleased (PU) stuff.  And what PU stuff there
> is on the set, I pretty much have already on "rare"  (perhaps we should
> say ... "now-deleted") pressings of questionable origin ;).  A hard-core
> Who fanatic will probably have 95% of this material already, whether
> on cd or lp.

	95%'s about right. But the sound on the rare material is wonderful.
	Far better than any copy I've got.

	Subtle plus: FINALLY, MCA released the version of "The Kids Are
	Alright" that INCLUDES the guitar solo. Shows what having someone
	familiar with the band as a box compiler can do for you.

>      The booklet enclosed with the set is fabulous; an intro by Pete, with
> articles by Keith Altham and Dave Marsh, and a short timeline by
> Chris Charlesworth.  There's also a decent discography and good
> liner notes for the cd's.

	Seconded. I especially liked the cover of the liner notes.

	The liner notes also answered a question I've had for about three
	years: Who played drums on "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting"?

	answer: Jon Astley.

>      All in all, I rate the set about B+/A-.  Could have been better IMO,
> but the remixed sound and nice booklet really make up for what I wish
> had been included.  Will a Who fan like it?  As Pete says in the intro
> in the booklet:
>      "Ok, if you hate The Who, you won't like it.  Fuck you.  I don't like
>      The Who much, and I like it.  That's critical distance for you."

	Only difference: So far, I see an "A". Undisputably the best Who
	compilation on the market. No doubt.

> Laserdisc:  Go now.  Do not finish reading this.  Find a Tower Video
> that's open this late and go buy the video/LD.  Get back home, plug
> the vcr into the stereo and crank the living shit out of it.  This may be
> better than The Kids Are Alright (ok, not quite as good as Won't Get
> Fooled Again, but close).  This video compilation really surprised me;
> I was expecting some promo vids, a little unreleased live stuff, and
> mostly stuff from TKAA.  What there is on this set is nearly 3 hours
> of live footage I've never seen before.  There ain't nothing from TKAA.
> The footage is interspersed with newly shot interviews w/ Pete, Roger,
> and John.  Highlights:  A Quick One from Monterey Pop that sounds
> better than the R&R circus version, a killer version of Water from
> Tanglewood '70 that compares with the Live at Leeds version (from a
> "recently-deleted" cd I ran across ...), an incredibly incendiary Young
> Man Blues from Isle of Wight '70 ... and I'm not even out of the first
> side of the LD set yet.  The sound and video for the most part is
> superb, and the performances are fantastic.  If you haven't seen The
> Who live, this is damn close.  I want to get my greedy little paws on
> the rest of these shows.  Grade:  A+++, thumbs up, whatever.  Why
> are you still reading this?  Go buy the thing!

	Again - completely seconded. A dazzling tape.

	Also again: the video answered a long answered question. There's a
	story that Keith collapsed at a concert and replaced for the night
	with someone from the audience. Is this story true?

	answer: Yep. It's true. No doubts at all.

	-- Owen

PS: One other note: the box comes with a reply card for comments. Sound off!
It's time to let MCA know that more rare Who is beyond welcome. We'd love to
see the original albums remastered. How about the double-CD "Live At Leeds" or
the live box that have been hinted at? Howzabout a "Lifehouse" CD?