DST in Detroit, August 5th

I was not excepting a great show; and I was more excited about seeing John
play bass than hear Roger sing with an orchestra...but, man, was I
surprised.

The show started at 8:15 with the full band minus Roger and John playing
with the orchestra a Townshend Salute for about ten minutes. It really
rocked. Then Roger went on stage and started with YOU BETTER YOUR BET.
Great rocking version without the orchestra. The show then followed (with
my comments):

ANOTHER TRICKY DAY
BABA ORILEY (violin player from Juliard)
AFTER THE FIRE (violin player from Juliard)
RELAY
AMAZING JOURNEY
PINBALL WIZARD
IM FREE
WERE NOT GONNA TAKE IT
****************        10 minute intermission

WHO ARE YOU BLUES
SEA REFUSES NO RIVER
+++ John Introduced by Roger (...and now what most of you have been waiting
for...) +++
MY WIFE (John vocals) talks about Pete no wanting to go on the road
BORIS THE SPIDER (John vocals) more bitter comments about Pete
(Roger says, We have not played this since 1974...a rearraNged Quadrophenia)
        PUNK MEETS THE GODFATHER
        DROWNED
        DR. JIMMY
        IS IT ME (Johns Theme)
        QUADROPHENIA/THE ROCK
        DIRTY JOBS
        IVE HAD ENOUGH
        CUT MY HAIR
        5:15
        LOVE, REIGN OER ME
****************        End of main show

BEHIND BLUE EYES (straight version)
WONT GET FOOLED AGAIN

The show ended at about 10:45.

The bass player who started the show moved to guitar during after John
joined the band.

A really great show. The orchestra did not play during atleast 60 % of the
concert. The band rocked-out gracefully and forcefully. Although, once John
arrived, the band was even better.

If you had doubts about going to see this tour, go see it. It is not like
the February shows. The orchestra does not slow the band down. Great rock!
Great music.

Michael

Michael Leo McHugh - Music Library and Sound Recordings Archives
Bowling Green State University - Bowling Green, Ohio 43403-0179