RE: VR6 vs. 1.8T

John,

I wouldn't sweat too much over which engine is better (1.8T vs VR6).  They
are both great engines and I would personally be happy with either one.

Here is my opinion about the whole 1.8T vs VR6 debate:

The 1.8T is sweet.  Rated at 180hp stock, and will go up to 215hp/250ftlb at
the crank with a $500 chip upgrade (this is taken from my friends Dyno w/
APR Stage 1 chip).  A larger downpipe and exhaust will yield even better
results.  The only problem is that this is the max you will want to safely
push the little turbo.  In order to gain more power, larger turbo upgrades
will be required which costs $$$$.  My friend with the chipped 1.8T Jetta
ran a best 14.8 quarter mile.

The 24v VR6 is sweet.  Rated at 201hp stock, aftermarket parts are still in
early development.  I seriously believe with the newer, better breathing
head, the VR6 has much more potential compared to the 12v version.
Superchargers and Turbos are currently in the works, and once you add forced
induction on a VR6, the 1.8T's have no chance!  There have been folks on the
Vortex that run 14.5 quarter mile times with stock automatic Jetta GLX's.  I
ran a best 14.9 with my chip/intake/exhaust 12v VR6.

Just find a nice VW with all of the options/colors you want with either
engine, and I'm sure you will be happy either way.

-Chuck Simpson
'97 GTI VR6
'02 Eurovan MV Weekender
'88 Cabriolet