Re: brake job diy or shop?

Just a note on the rears, it's not the bearings that are pressing into the
rotors, it's the races, and definitely have the supplier do it. It's cheap
and headache-free. You can get nice rotors (I bought their slotted ones,
turns out they are Brembos) and pads from parts4vws.com and I know they
pre-press races; I just did my rears a month or two ago. The price for the
rears was like right at $200 for pre-pressed slotted rotors and Red Box
pads, along with all the bearings, grease seals, and cotter pins needed to
do the rears. Not too bad.

Also, as mentioned in another post, don't forget the ABS speed sensor on the
rears! I did, and my brake job took a LOT longer than it needed to. The
speed sensor is not really easy to discern from the Bentley pics, so what
you're looking for is a squirrel-cage-style wheel/basket thingy that fits
around the inside of the rotor, running around the outside of the inner
bearing seal. It comes off pretty easy with a flat-blade screwdriver but
will be coated with crap and you may not be able to see it right away.

The only other thing I can say is you may need to get a little unfriendly
with your front rotors to get them off... you will probably want to look up
techniques for getting the damned things off without damaging anything
before you start on them, 'cause if they've been there a few years, most do
NOT want to let go. :-)  I've heard of using anti-rust compounds, using
large sledges, torches... they're stubborn little bastards.

Good luck, Marc!
# Nathan
1996 GLX