Overheating

So last night, on the freeway, my 97 GLX overheated.  A blinking red light
caught my eye, it was the temp warning, and the needle was climbing.  So I
pulled over on the freeway, then after it had cooled a bit slowly drove to
the nearest offramp and to a parking lot and called a tow truck.

I did a quick check - there was still the right amount of coolant in the
little tank.  If I still have coolant, does that mean that I did *not* loose
a hose?  Or does it not mean anything?

My immediate thoughts on what this could be are:

thermostat
water pump
hoses

But I kind of eliminated that last one, at least to my thinking.  The car
was towed to where I have work done, so it will get fixed, I'm just curious
what the guesses out there are.

Thanks,
John

--