RE: Suspension upgrades

Get in on a coil over group buy on VWvortex.com,
they are much less expensive that way.

From: owner-jettaglx@igtc.com [mailto:owner-jettaglx@igtc.com]On Behalf
Of Cabell T Treadway
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 11:57 AM
To: jettaglx@igtc.com
Subject: Suspension upgrades

Hey all,

I know this might start a debate, but I'm looking to work on the suspension
for my 97 GLX.  I think it's already pretty well been talked about, but I'm
wondering what the thoughts are on various setups.  My car has 83k on it
now, and about half of that has been on New England roads, which some of
you know are pretty lousy with potholes, etc.  I think it's about time to
replace the stocks, and this is what I'm thinking.  I don't have the cash
for coilovers, as the prices I've seen on neuspeed.com and etc. are in the
$1200-$1400 range.  I think Bilstein Sport shocks ($130 each front, $90
each rear) and Neuspeed Sport Springs ($260 for the set) might be
financially feasible, roughly $700, give or take.

Is this a decent setup?  I'm not a racer, but I would like the car to look
a little more aggressive and give me a little better handling, without
creating an overly harsh ride.  A firm ride is not undesireable, however.
I love my brother-in-law's 91 M5, and that's pretty firm.  Neuspeed.com
says the above mentioned setup will drop about 1.5" in the front, 1.0" in
the rear.

One more question.  If I go with this setup, is it something a fairly
competent DIYer can handle without access to a real great garage?  I live
in an apartment complex, and I do oil changes, etc in the parking lot, but
I don't have a garage at all.  I know I'll need to get an alignment
afterwards, but I'd rather not pay a shop to do this if I can handle it.

If anyone has this setup or can recommend another one in the same price
range for the kind of performance I'm looking for, that would be great.
Feel free to email me off list or respond to the group.

Thanks in advance,
Cab
72bug
97glx