RE: tires + wheels

The key to purchasing a larger wheel is 'keeping it light'!
Many of the aftermarket wheels that are 17"-19" are super heavy and will
ultimately hurt performance in acceleration.  There are a few manufacturers
that have lightweight wheels in the 16"-17" category, so just do the
research.

My 15" stock rims w/ tires weighed 38lbs each on my '97 GTI VR6.  I decided
to get some 17's, but I did not want to increase the weight.

I purchased a used set of 17"x7.5" ABT A23 with 205/40/17 tires.  That combo
weighs exactly 38lbs, so I didn't really gain much unsprung weight and
performance wasn't noticably altered.  I love the look with my H&R Cup Kit,
so I'm very happy with the combination.  My friend has 16" OZ Monte Carlos
and they weigh 40lbs with tires each, so that is an example of a 16"
weighing more than a 17".  On the other hand, another buddy of mine has a
set of 17" OZ Superleggaras and they weigh 32lbs with tires each.  That is a
very hot wheel... and very expensive too!

As for tires, I would suggest Toyo Proxes T1-S.  It's an ultra grippy tire.
UTQG rating:  280 treadwear, AA Traction, A Temp
Can't go wrong with Toyo Proxes!

-Chuck Simpson
'97 GTI VR6