Re: Brake pedal weirdness after getting bearings changed

The other possibility is that the vacuum booster has failed or the
vacuum line to it is disconnected.

Try this:

With the car parked safely,

Run the engine and step on the brakes a few times to get the feel
of the pedal response.  Turn OFF the engine. Now step on the pedal
a few times.  After one or two strokes, the pedal should feel
significantly stiffer - you have no vacuum boost once the engine
isn't operating and you depress the pedal a few times.

If there isn't a difference - you've found the problem and can
duplicate the symptom for your mechanic.  At the moment, I can't
think of something that would cause the failure during a bearing
change - but then again do you have ABS? I know the pump can
be a royal pain about how the brakes are repaired, etc.