From: "Mike Cripps" <mikecripps@mediaone.net>
To: <jettaglx@igtc.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 11:45 AM
Subject: Re: Brake pedal weirdness after getting bearings changed

I don't know if this applies to your situation, but...

An associate of mine had a terrible time getting his brakes to firm up.
The first stroke was always very mushy, then the rest (at one stop)
were rock solid. We went through his system with a fine tooth comb.
*Nothing* out of spec,  replaced rotors, pads, calipers, etc.  just
because
he was a perfectionist.

Turned out to be a bad wheel bearing. The bearing allowed (caused?)
the rotor to wobble slightly, pushing the pads further apart.
The first brake application would push them back in close and
"unwobble" the rotor. The second stroke was as normal because
the pads had been reset to normal clearance from the rotor.

This drove four mechanical techs nuts until we found the bearing
by sheer chance. It wasn't even that bad - just some extra play.
If one guy hadn't pulled on the tire/wheel without removing the
nuts, it might still be a mystery.