Re: The VW Jetta GLX Mailing List Digest V6 #3

The VW Jetta GLX Mailing List Digest wrote:

> The VW Jetta GLX Mailing List Digest
>  Tuesday, January 8 2002 Volume 06 : Number 003
>
> Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 14:18:24 -0800
> From: "Darren Gibbons" <dgibbons@openroad.ca>
> Subject: RE: Burning oil
>
> I've got a '97 and I burn about a litre every three months or so.  Every car
> I've owned has burned oil (admittedly, the previous ones were quite a bit
> older).  I just assumed it was normal.
>
> Does anyone have a VR6 that doesn't consume oil?

Yup.  I've used Lubra-Moly 5-40 from about 55k (km's) and don't use any oil for every 5-7k oil change.  Of course, the stuff's about $7cdn a litre, but hey.

> Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 20:44:20 EST
> From: TRedGLX@aol.com
> Subject: Re: Burning oil
>
> In a message dated 1/7/2002 4:02:50 PM Central Standard Time,
> dgibbons@openroad.ca writes:
> The squeak you heard is most likely the belt-tensioner pulley. Mine does it
> when cool/cold outside. Kind of a medium-high pitched 'whirr' noise, for
> about 5-15 minutes. Yours sound similar?

OI.  Get that fixed, now.  Have you done your serpentine belt yet?  Mine blew up at just over 100k (km's), 1/2 blamed on the tensioner, which had to be replaced as well.  Get
your local mechanic to do that, cause if you have to take it to a VW dealer on a Saturday after blowing your belt on a long distance drive friday night, you're going to pay
through the nose.

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 15:15:03 -0500
> From: "Allison H. Feldhusen" <ahf@io.com>
> Subject: Re: Hesitation Problem
>
> Could be the coil pack.
>
> At 01:26 PM 1/8/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >Hey All,
> >
> >I have noticed a hesitation problem in my GLX.  '98, 108k miles.
> >Spark Plugs have about 38k on them.  It feels like it's misfiring, but no
> >CE light.  I usually downshift if I notice the problem.  I don't sit on
> >the throttle and wait to see what else happens.
> >
> >Here are the conditions is usually happens at:
> >1) Cold start up (CT Temps)
> >2) Low RPM, middle/large amount of throttle
> >3) Any Gear
> >4) 1st 5 minutes of driving
> >
> >I'm guessing it's either the Spark Plugs or the Injectors.  Any other insight?

Er.  Have you replaced the spark plugs yet?  I tend to do mine every 25k (km's).  I left them 45k once, and the engine started doing nasty things, like knock, and you could
spray water on the coil pack and watch the light show.  That has to do with the incredibl;y high resistance VW puts into the spark plug wires.  Oh, have you done your wires
yet?  How long have they been there?  I've been changing mine about every 50k (or every second plug change).